Tuesday, November 10, 2015

NaBloPoMo -- Projects

This prompt is actually the BlogHer one for tomorrow, but I am quite sure I will do something around Remembrance day tomorrow:
Wednesday, November 11
What was the last thing you fixed or built?

I would have to go with the fence that I have been working on for 3 summers now and not yet finished....

When we moved into this house we knew the fence needed work.  The first week we were here my dad and I replaced the worst of the rails but I knew that all the rails and boards needed to be done.  Luckily the posts are still in good shape, which makes rebuilding a fence a MUCH easier endeavour.

So I have been working away at it over the last few years.  Pull the old stuff off, replace the rails and boards.  Generally it runs about 1.5-2 hours per 8 foot section.  The one difference was where we wanted to move a gate last year, so that involved a bit more work (some of which was re done this year because the one gate post needed to be replaced- and make the opening a bit wider).  But I now am 75% done.  Just a 12 foot section along the back then only the side which is shared with a neighbour to do.  Sadly along there we WILL need to replace some posts.  And will need to negotiate with the neighbour to determine when we are both available to do it.  Who knows, maybe it will become part of the "get exercise" portion of next summer's sabbatical.

And since it sort of links, here is today's prompt:
What is the hardest part of a big project: getting the energy to begin, finding the time to work on it, or feeling down that it's over?
 On the whole, getting started.  I have a tendency to get ready and planned but never get started (the joys of being a procrastinator , but we can talk more about that later).  Then as long as the project goes smoothly and has a definite structure I am generally pretty good.  The first hiccup however, or the first time it becomes more work than expected....and then continuing can be a challenge.  THe best way I have found to ensure it gets carried through is if it is a project where being half-finished leaves one in a terribly inconvenient place (such as a fence with a section missing) that tends to force one to complete it.

No comments:

Post a Comment