Friday, October 24, 2008

Living Places

Singing Owl writes at RGBP:
...tell us about the five favorite places you have lived in your lifetime. What did you like? What kind of place was it? Anything special happen there?
In no particular order here are my 5:
  1. This house: 7.5 years I arrived here fresh out of school, single and childless. And now? Well it has been a full 7.5 years.
  2. The One with the Pink Fixtures: This was a bachelor apartment I lived in while working at a crisis nursery program. It was the first real striking out on my own as an employed, earning my own way adult. The name comes from the fact that the sink, toilet and tub were a dusty rose colour.
  3. The Home of My Childhood: We moved into the house where my parents still live in 1974. IT is where I lived from kindergarten through the end of my undergrad degree (and beyond). To a certain degree going there will always be going home.
  4. The One With BIG Windows: This is the one-bedroom I lived in during my final year of seminary. It was a bit farther from the school than I had planned but still walking distance. And easy access to the river valley, to the local pub, to everything I needed. And it had double sized windows in the main room and the bedroom.
  5. The House Just Off Campus: 2nd year of seminary another student and I rented a house 3 blocks off campus. My one and only experience of a roommate other than family.
Bonus #1: It may only have been summer housing (5 summers at that) but the staff lodge at the Church Camp I worked at. Not so much for the building but for the setting.
Bonus #2: Without question the WORST place I ever lived was in my 1st year of seminary. I was in a basement suite where I shared bathroom/kitchen with the other suite in the basement. Dark coloured walls and floor with a teeny tiny window that got no sun as it was. Not fun -- as the year went on I found myself doing more reading and studying at the college instead of at home.

2 comments:

  1. I can tell we have something in common -- a need for natural light in our homes! That first seminary room sounds AWFUL! Hope your current place lets the sunshine in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I missed this Friday Five because I was moving in yesterday - is that irony, or what???

    ReplyDelete