Thursday, May 17, 2007

Another Newspaper piece

Wonder of Wonders

Currently CBC’s The National and Sounds Like Canada are having a contest to name Canada’s 7 Greatest Wonders (http://www.cbc.ca/sevenwonders/). Currently they have a short list of 52 natural and constructed nominees (from the Sleeping Giant to the Northern Lights, the canoe to the Vimy Memorial).

As I was listening this morning I was struck by two thoughts. One was certainly that this is a great way to talk about the many wonders that make up this country. The other was to ask what makes something a wonder. What are indeed the great wonders of life?

There is a story I heard a long time ago. A class was voting on what were the 7 Wonders of the World today. The climax of the story reads (taken from http://www.inspirationpeak.com/shortstories/sevenwonders.html):
While gathering the votes, the teacher noted that one student, a quiet girl, hadn't turned in her paper yet. So she asked the girl if she was having trouble with her list. The quiet girl replied, "Yes, a little. I couldn't quite make up my mind because there were so many." The teacher said, "Well, tell us what you have, and maybe we can help."
The girl hesitated, then read, "I think the Seven Wonders of the World are:
Before we read what she said. I ask again, what makes something a wonder? What adds so much to life that you can only stand in amazement at the wonderfulness of it? Maybe it is that first time you stood holding your newborn child (I will always remember the first time I saw each of my three girls). Maybe it is the sounds of music reaching to the skies. Maybe it is the full moon shining across a mirror smooth lake. Maybe it is the awestruck excitement of a child on Christmas morning. What are the greatest gifts God has given you?

In the end that is what the great wonders of life are. They are gifts from God. Amazing, unexpected gifts from God. They are the gifts that make life more than the drudgery of paying bills and buying necessities and doing the everyday tasks. In February 2006 we were at a joint worship service in Thunder Bay. As the pipe organ soared and hundreds of voices joined in the introit Sarah looked at me and said “Daddy WOW!”. That is what a wonder does.

The girl in the story listed as her wonders:
1. to touch...
2. to taste...
3. to see...
4. to hear... (She hesitated a little, and then added...)
5. to feel...
6. to laugh...
7. and to love.
I can’t say as I would argue. I can’t argue with her list or with her statement that there are so many that it is hard to choose only seven.

How will you celebrate the wonders in your world?

No comments:

Post a Comment