Friday, October 06, 2006

Friday Five on Voting

It's that season of the year when lawn signs are sprouting as surely as flowers in the spring; elections are just around the corner. And so today we bring you a Civic Duty Friday Five.

1) How old were you when you voted for the first time? Technically speaking the first time I voted would have been at the end of Grade 6 when we were electing a class representative to Student COuncil for the following year so I would have been 12. In "real" elections I would have voted the first election after turning 18.
2) What was the contest at the top of the ballot? See above. As for the first post-18 ballot I am not sure. Since federal and provincial elections in Canada don't follow a set schedule I can't remember what the next one was after March of '87 (well I think the next Federal was in fall '88 so that may well have been it)
3) Can you walk to your polling place? Depends on the election and how energetic I am at the time (seriously, you can walk anywhere in a town this size).
4) Have you ever run for public office? Nope. It was suggested 3 years ago, but I paid no serious attention to the idea.
5) Have you run for office in a club or school or on a board? Not really. I have served in positions that were theoretically electable but were often acclamations.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous6/10/06 10:02

    I like your new decorating. At least I think it is new!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I like that Firefox extension that allows me to see it! Thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete