Monday, October 02, 2006

BAB II: Domestic Violence

I was having trouble deciding what to blog about for BAB so here is my other choice.

I remember the first time I saw it for real. I was at work and a mother came in with a bright purple eye/cheek.

I remember the child at camp who kept saying "I need to be hit".

I could go and look up the statistics about the number of people affected by violence in the home. But it doesn't change the fact that it tears the heart up.

THankfully we have moved past the time when Jackie GLeason regularly threatedned domestic violence on prime-time TV. But still do we take it seriously enough?

TOday someone is being wounded by a partner or parent or child. I can't understand it but I know it is out there.

WHat does our response need to be?

2 comments:

  1. I wish I knew the answer to your question Gord.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this makes me really sad, home should be synonymous with safe, and it's true that it isn't always.

    ReplyDelete