Friday, August 25, 2006

Back to School Friday 5

Songbird writes:
My late mother-in-law thought of September as the “real” New Year because of the number of programs and classes starting. By Labor Day, school is back in session for most of us in the U.S., although there is great variation by region (my children don't return until Sept. 7th!). To mark this, we bring you the Back to School Friday Five.

1. What is your earliest memory of school? I think that would be taking the bus across town for the first few months of Grade 1 (the school I was meant to attend was not yet completed--we started there in January)
2. Who was a favorite teacher in your early education? What does early mean? I am thinking of my Grade 4 teacher. He read a chapter of a book to us each Friday after lunch. ANd he played guitar so we had singing sessions on a regular basis. THose Friday readings are where I was first introduced to Middle-Earth and to Narnia.
3. What do you remember about school “back then” that is different from what you know about schools now? Hmmm, knowing what is done in Junior and Senior Kindergarten in Ontario, and reflecting on what we did in Kindergarten/Grade 1 I think that we may start pushing kids to do too much too soon nowadays. And I don't remember this focus on "teach them what they need to get a job" when I was in high school. But that may be related to the way I paid attention, and that I was on track for post-secondary education. All in all I tnink school is more stressful now, or stressful in different ways.
4. Did you have to memorize in school? If so, share a poem or song you learned. Not that I can recall. At least not as a regular thing. (Either that or I can't remember any of it).
5. Did you ever get in trouble at school? Were there any embarrassing moments you can share? In a word--yes. And oh so many embarassing moments, many of which involved my ridiculous attempts to hide the fact that the homework was, once again, not complete.

6 comments:

  1. Amen on the pushing kids to do stuff to early. It almost seems like we want to start shoving as much information as possible into their heads as early as possible, yet we encourage people to act like children well into their twenties or thirties. We give them all the knowledge and little of the responsibility. Sorry for the tangent. You just got me thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gord -- I don't know if I'm the only one having this problem, but I haven't been able to read your blog lately. It comes out as white only, and I can only see test if I try highlighting. Is anyone else having this problem? Is there some way that I can fix it?

    Sorry to dump a "techie question" in your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What browser do you use Klee? It appears that firefox doesn't like this template. See this post for more.

    Seems I may need to change templates when I get home. {sigh} and I did like this one so...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this template, too. It's not just a Firefox problem but a Firefox *version* problem. I'm looking at on Firefox on my laptop and reading it fine, but on our desktop I can't see the white either. It also doesn't show the little graphics on the RevGal site.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey,
    I can read your blog. What a cool teacher you had.

    In a word--yes. And oh so many embarassing moments, many of which involved my ridiculous attempts to hide the fact that the homework was, once again, not complete.
    You are not alone, you are not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks! I'm running on Firefox, so I'll have to see if I'm running the most recent version of Firefox available.

    Don't change your template on account of me, I'll just continue highlighting. Anything good is worth working a little for!

    ReplyDelete