Thursday, June 01, 2006

Farewell to a Good Thing

AS I remember it, the only way I was allowed to go trick or treating as a child was if I took an orange UNICEF box with me. ANd as an adult, when I was first living in a place where I was likley to get trick-or-treaters, I made sure to have change available to put into said boxes. It was a goog program. It raised a surprising amount of money (considering we are talking about pennies and nickels $3 million annually is incredible) and it gave a chance for children to talk and learn about what UNICEF does for children around the world.

BUt no more. UNICEF is cancelling the orange box program in Canada. Part of the reason is that dealing with coin is a lot of work, and it is. It sounds like the program will be replaced with something else in a fundraising/educational vein. And that is good. But still there is something redemptive about having kids collect for others while getting candy for themselves. I think that is why I remember having to take the box with me to be allowed to go out.

No comments:

Post a Comment