Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Knowing When to Speak Out

Palm Sunday's Sermon followed along the lines of these opening notes:
Normally we think of the Palm Sunday story as a triumphant parade but maybe there is something else there. This year as I sat down to prepare for Palm Sunday I had a vision of a protest march. [snip]
The reality is that we are called to protest, called to the streets, not violently but non-violently. This Palm Sunday we are still called to shout "Save Us!" (Hosanna) and to announce the coming of a new way of being in the world.
This morning I had a visitor come to talk about thoughts the sermon had stirred up. (I know, people actually listen to these things--scary isn't it) He mentioned that he sees the need for voices to talk about a new way of being, a new way of existing here in town. But he finds himself "self-censoring" because of a sense that people will not like what gets said.

I can identify with this very well. I have stopped counting the number of times I have almost written a letter to the editor and then stopped myself over the last few months. BUt I think the basic question is vital for those of us who have a prophetic word to share. How do you know when to speak out and when to remain silent? WHen do we speak up and hope that someone else will join the chorus, even though we feel like a voice in the wilderness?

In this instance we know that we are not the only ones in town ready for the discussion. THe two of us talked about thinking of ways to begin the discussion, bring it out in the open. ANd in November we have municipal elections, a chance to talk about vision for the town. Strange thing is, I think it ties in perfectly well with where my Easter sermon is going.

No comments:

Post a Comment